Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Joyeux Noel

Now that I'm on Christmas Break, I'm finally getting a chance to do some crafting. My list of things to finish includes:
1. Clothes for my poor stuffed snowmen who have really taken a beating over the past 15 years. Their threadbare-ness is starting to scare me, so I'm making them some clothes for protection.
2. A baby blanket that I bought the fabric for last spring. Fail.
3. Elena Fisher's Beretta M9 for my multiple in-progress Elena cosplays. For info on that in a second.
4. A new purse.
5. Poor, neglected Daenerys.

Quite a lot. I'm really enjoying it, though. I've also been playing Dragon Age II, which is fabulous so far.

Anyway, about Elena. I attempted to make a gun awhile back, but the proportions were off and it ended up being too large. Therefore, it never got past the papier-mache stage:



I used this tutorial, which was actually very helpful in getting my bearings. Because I need to make a replica of an actual pistol, though, rather than an anime gun, the measurements didn't work for me. I decided to scrap measurements (for the most part) and just play around with the cardboard until I got something that looked and felt right. I constructed a cardboard base, coated it with papier-mache, and then put on a layer of Paperclay, as per Jia Jem's amazing tutorial. The Paperclay is still drying, so I'm not ready to sand yet. I think it's going to take a second layer because of cracks and such. In the meantime, I'm working on the baby blanket and snowman clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment